{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Preparing a Will, any experiences ?  (Read 15417 times)

Offline ThaiWidowsandExpats

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Preparing a Will, any experiences ?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 09:55:41 AM »

I have a will back in Europe with my wife as the sole beneficiary, but it can take a while before she can access my accounts there or that the money is transferred to her account here in Thailand. (I have heard "horror" stories of 6+ months waiting for the money to arrive.)

All I have in Thailand are Bank accounts, the houses, cars, motobikes are already in my wife's name, and those accounts are not covered in my European Will.

@ThaiWidowsandExpats

What are the costs involved in making a will and a Living Will ?

Our fee for preparing a straightforward Thai Will is 3,000baht. This includes a Living Will plus a face to face meeting and general advice on accessing money and  to ensure everything is included.

There are situations where children with former partners need to receive benefit, and such matters will be discussed and advice given.

It may be (as in a recent case) that after death you do not want your wife to receive all your cash assets at one time and rather drip-feed these over a period of years. In this case it was done, because the deceased realised when making his will, that all the wife's extended family would be along with their hands out, and the wife would duly provide.

Consideration also needs to be given to the possibility of both the testator and the beneficiary dying at the same time (ie accident). Where then do the assets go?

Where someone is quite happy to prepare their own Will, and understands the possible pitfalls, then by all means go ahead and use one of the templates shown above or similar readily available from the internet.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 10:05:27 AM »
Hi Nick,
Just to clarify please:-

If I have a will in the UK covering UK assets only and a will on Thailand covering covering Thai assets ........is this the way to go?

My thinking is that I would appoint a Solicitors in the UK and that my wife here would contact them providing a translated death certificate should the worst occur.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 10:11:43 AM »
@ThaiWidowsandExpats

Thanks for the clarification.

My will will be very straightforward, sole beneficiary my wife but in case if we both die at the same time I have to think about that. My wife will also make a will the same time.

Where are you located ?

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 10:28:03 AM »
@ThaiWidowsandExpats

Thanks for the clarification.

My will will be very straightforward, sole beneficiary my wife but in case if we both die at the same time I have to think about that. My wife will also make a will the same time.

Where are you located ?

We operate from Prakhonchai, but would be happy to meet up with you in the Buriram area.

Thaiwidowsandexpats@gmail.com.

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 10:35:32 AM »
Hi Nick,
Just to clarify please:-

If I have a will in the UK covering UK assets only and a will on Thailand covering covering Thai assets ........is this the way to go?

My thinking is that I would appoint a Solicitors in the UK and that my wife here would contact them providing a translated death certificate should the worst occur.

Yes Freddy -that is the correct way.

Your wife would need to provide the original death certificate and a translation certified or notarised, to either the UK executor (if there is one) or an appointed solicitor to act on her behalf. The solicitor would need details of all your UK assets which need to be shown on the probate application, and will also be considered by HMRC for possible tax payments. She will also most likely be asked to provide translated ID documents

Without a Thai Will, you will be deemed to have died intestate, and under the Thai laws of intestacy up to 50% of your assets could well legally find themselves in the hands of any UK family you may have, and not your wife. A Thai Will will ensure your Thai assets go where you want.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 10:39:28 AM »
Thanks Nick,
Will be in touch at some point to sort out the Thai end of things.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 10:41:20 AM »
Thanks Nick,

+1. I will be in touch with you somewhere next week.

Ps: We are in the Krasang Area.

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 10:43:47 AM »
Thanks Nick,

+1. I will be in touch with you somewhere next week.

Ps: We are in the Krasang Area.

Krasang is fine.

Both proprietors of Thai Widows & Expats will be enjoying a break in Malaysia next week, but will be happy to arrange something from 29th February on.

Offline Freddy

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 10:47:46 AM »
Just a note for those viewing these posts. I've used Nick to organise/provide my truck insurance for the psatb2 years. I've been very happy with the service. Fast and efficient with all queries/questions answered. And no, I'm not on commission but can vouch that I've had experience of Nicks company services.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 10:51:02 AM »
@ThaiWidowsandExpats.

I have 2 more questions if I may ?

What happens after we draft the will ? Where does the will gets "registered" or how does that work ?

And final question, suppose I die, what does the wife needs to do (after receiving the death certificate) ?

Thanks again, really appreciated.

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2016, 11:16:46 AM »
@ThaiWidowsandExpats.

What happens after we draft the will ? Where does the will gets "registered" or how does that work ?

And final question, suppose I die, what does the wife needs to do (after receiving the death certificate) ?

A Will does not need to be registered. it just need to be produced after death. You will keep the signed Will, which can be kept at home with passports, bank books etc, perhaps in a safe  or locked drawer at home or a safe deposit box at the bank

After death, your wife initially needs to see whether there are any specific wishes regarding your funeral. Once the funeral is over, she would need to realise your assets. This would most likely require the services of a lawyer, although very nominal amounts of cash can usually be withdrawn from banks without court papers. Your wife (or other executor) would also need to secure any widows pensions from your former employer(s) and possible insurance payouts, which if show her as a beneficiary, do not form part of your estate.

Some wives are quite capable of dealing with these matters alone, but Thai Widows & Expats can take care of all matters on behalf of the widow, including (at least at present) of obtaining DWP Bereavement benefits for both the widow and any children under 18/19 still in secondary education. We have already assisted 19 Thai widows during the past 5 years. Our fees for providing this service are generally substantially lower than those of lawyers and solicitors.

As Freddy said above (and thank you Freddy for your kind words) we can also provide a full range of insurances (motor, health, travel and home)  as well as arranging new and renewal UK passports without the need to travel to Bangkok twice, as well as providing a UK visa service for thai wives and girlfriends.

Offline iammike

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2016, 11:23:45 AM »
@ThaiWidowsandExpats

Thank you for your clarification, this makes it very clear.

Offline KhunG

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2016, 12:21:13 PM »
@ThaiWidowsandExpats.

A Will does not need to be registered. it just need to be produced after death. You will keep the signed Will, which can be kept at home with passports, bank books etc, perhaps in a safe  or locked drawer at home or a safe deposit box at the bank

After death, your wife initially needs to see whether there are any specific wishes regarding your funeral. Once the funeral is over, she would need to realise your assets. This would most likely require the services of a lawyer, although very nominal amounts of cash can usually be withdrawn from banks without court papers. Your wife (or other executor) would also need to secure any widows pensions from your former employer(s) and possible insurance payouts, which if show her as a beneficiary, do not form part of your estate.

Some wives are quite capable of dealing with these matters alone, but Thai Widows & Expats can take care of all matters on behalf of the widow, including (at least at present) of obtaining DWP Bereavement benefits for both the widow and any children under 18/19 still in secondary education. We have already assisted 19 Thai widows during the past 5 years. Our fees for providing this service are generally substantially lower than those of lawyers and solicitors.

As Freddy said above (and thank you Freddy for your kind words) we can also provide a full range of insurances (motor, health, travel and home)  as well as arranging new and renewal UK passports without the need to travel to Bangkok twice, as well as providing a UK visa service for thai wives and girlfriends.

Are you also familiar with helping a widow with US benefits like social security?

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2016, 12:47:43 PM »

Are you also familiar with helping a widow with US benefits like social security?

We have assisted one US widow.

Social security for Thai widows of US citizens is complex. Generally they will have had to have lived in the US for a given period of time (usually 5 years) to be entitled to benefit. There are I believe a number of exceptions, and we would need to be in possession of all the facts before we could indicate whether we could assist. Happy to meet and discuss with the widow.

Please note that with all "widows", a legally registered marriage must have taken place. A village type marriage ceremony is not regarded as legally married. Unfortunately a few widows have thought they were married, but in fact were not. They would only benefit if there were a Will in which they were left something.

Offline KhunG

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2016, 03:32:06 PM »

We have assisted one US widow.

Social security for Thai widows of US citizens is complex. Generally they will have had to have lived in the US for a given period of time (usually 5 years) to be entitled to benefit. There are I believe a number of exceptions, and we would need to be in possession of all the facts before we could indicate whether we could assist. Happy to meet and discuss with the widow.

Please note that with all "widows", a legally registered marriage must have taken place. A village type marriage ceremony is not regarded as legally married. Unfortunately a few widows have thought they were married, but in fact were not. They would only benefit if there were a Will in which they were left something.

Thanks for your quick reply.

She lived in the US for over a decade and obtained US citizenship, so eligibility won't be a problem  Both our children were born in the US before moving here, so they're covered as well.  We were legally married in a US jurisdiction.

My concern is that I've always handled all the financial issues, so when the day comes (hopefully a long way off) it could be difficult for her to sort out.  I'd like to know there are resources she can call on for help.

We have US wills, but should probably talk to you about adding Thai wills.  You mentioned you're in Prakhon Chai area.  We live in that district near Pranom Rung, so perhaps we can get together to discuss.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Gerry
August 29, 2024, 02:33:22 PM

information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Murtle_71
August 29, 2024, 07:11:47 AM

Re: Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by badboldie
July 26, 2024, 03:03:06 PM

Re: Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by Gerry
July 26, 2024, 02:55:12 PM

Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by badboldie