{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Gun Culture in USA  (Read 233908 times)

Offline Walter

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Gun Culture in USA
« Reply #165 on: November 22, 2011, 03:26:35 PM »

Offline Paddyram

• Contributor on the right way
  • Censored!
« Reply #166 on: March 29, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »
What guns are made for ............ getting Dinner !!! 
When I brought this home my wife was straight on the phone to her Dad telling him how big the doe was, and how much meat was on the Deer in Ireland.  I felt about ten feet tall.  MY Inner caveman was well satisfied.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
I have several guns I am trying to bring to Thailand, these include:

Glock .40 cal pistol
Rugar Security Six .357 Magnum
Winchester 12 gauge pump Shotgun
Winchester .22 cal rifle
RWS .177 Air Rifle
.177 air pistol

Plus I would like to buy and bring:

Rugar .410/45Cal pistol
Desert Eaggle .50 Cal 
Colt .45 Auto

And these are for my shooting pleasure.  If I had extra money the .50 Cal Barrett rifle would be on that list. 

"Gun control means hitting your target"   

52 millions gun owners in America committed no crimes today.

usaflag

Offline Paddyram

• Censored!
« Reply #168 on: March 30, 2012, 10:18:56 PM »
I don't think a Farang can get a firearm licence in Thailand, it has to be in your wife or father-in-law's name.  But I found a very helpful guy (Ex. police I think) that works in the Gun shop near coffee connection in Buriram.  He can also arrange 'day visits' to the military firing range near Buriram.  He did say that licence's for handguns and shotguns are easy enough for a Thai national, but any rifle over a .22 calibre is almost impossible unless your job necessitates it (paramilitary ranger, border patrol, wildlife ranger), but I suppose this also probably depends on Tea Money levels. 
I have a 0.243 (as in the photo), when I explained the calibre size to him and asked if I could bring it over to Thailand, he just laughed. 
Considering a Barrett50 would nearly reach Cambodia from Buriram, I'd say you may be pushing your luck on that one.  You could always come to an arrangement with an Army Officer to keep the guns locked up on the base if you are only going to use them for target shooting.  But I would be worried that your guns would end up as part of a murder investigation later on. [HEADLINES: Army Colonel's unfaithful wife shot by mystery gun]. 
If you can get a licence for a rifle up to .22, then one way around that limit would be to get a 0.220 swift, which is still technically a .22  ..(its just ten times bigger).  It's also a nice flat shooting round with decent mid-long range capabilities.  I had a Rem700 in 22 swift for many years for fox control.
Best of luck.  And please let me know how you get on trying to get them to Thailand.  I may do the same in a few more grey hairs.

Offline Paddyram

• Censored!
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2012, 05:27:48 AM »
Urleft:  I posted this photo of my previous target rifle, a Rem 700 police tactical in 0.220 swift.  Composite polymer stock, Wildcat Silencer, bushnell scope, Harris bipods, aftermarket heavy varmint bull barrel and I glass bedded the action. Absolute tack-driver out to 500 yards.  This rifle got me around a similar .22 restriction in Ireland for years until they changed the law. Sorry to see it go, but I had to upgrade to a more powerful rifle to meet the new requirements to hunt deer in Ireland.  Its an odd old american round (as you probably know), but a rifle like this would meet the Thai .22 restriction, but as a flat shooting centrefire round it gives you the decent range and up to 60 grains stopping power (available from Sako and Hornady), more than enough to stop anything you can legally hunt in Thailand. A prefect medium range target rifle.  If you were seriously thinking of a Barrett 50 cal. you would save about €7,000 to go for a Rem Sendero in 0.22 swift and still hit targets at 600 - 700 yards and you wouldn't piss off the local boys in brown (licence in your wife's name, ofcourse). 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2012, 12:15:53 PM »
I have not really made any effort to import my guns, but I am working several angles such as maybe getting an embassy job.  But I may also pursue the .22 cal option. 

However, there is just something awesome about large caliber weapons:

Offline Mungbar

• http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2012, 05:30:28 AM »
I have several guns I am trying to bring to Thailand, these include:

Glock .40 cal pistol
Rugar Security Six .357 Magnum
Winchester 12 gauge pump Shotgun
Winchester .22 cal rifle
RWS .177 Air Rifle
.177 air pistol

Plus I would like to buy and bring:

Rugar .410/45Cal pistol
Desert Eaggle .50 Cal 
Colt .45 Auto

And these are for my shooting pleasure.  If I had extra money the .50 Cal Barrett rifle would be on that list. 

"Gun control means hitting your target"   

usaflag
Why do you want to bring that sort of arsenal into Thailand for you goose What are you looking to invade the place  brick1

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2012, 07:43:42 AM »
Well at last The 'neighbourhood watch' guy has been charged with 2nd degree murder....WHY DID IT TAKE SO LONG.........We all know dont we!!
After just reading the previous threads .........
Urleft ,I seriously think you have a serious problem.........Maybe 'a couple of bricks short of a load'!!

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2012, 09:46:22 AM »
Why do you want to bring that sort of arsenal into Thailand for you goose What are you looking to invade the place  brick1

Well at last The 'neighbourhood watch' guy has been charged with 2nd degree murder....WHY DID IT TAKE SO LONG.........We all know dont we!!
After just reading the previous threads .........
Urleft ,I seriously think you have a serious problem.........Maybe 'a couple of bricks short of a load'!!

Everyone has hobbies, I would like to collect guns.  I happen to like shooting and appreciate a fine weapon.  I have a lifetime hunting license in the USA, but have not been hunting for over 15 years, not really my thing.  I had a concealed weapon license for 30 years until I let it lapse coming here.  Last year went through several boxes of ammo at the skeet range (need some practice), and would like to get a well made over/under with different gauge barrels. 

So I own weapons, fire them occasionally, but don't go around killing things.   In the US we have the 2nd Amendment which is there to allow citizens to own weapons.  However, there is a large group of individuals that are trying to take away the rights to own guns, I intent to keep my guns. 

Unfortunately there are criminal elements that are used to give gun owners a bad name, what is usual in criminal cases is that the guns used were obtained illegally and/or the individuals were illegally possessing the weapons. 

In the states I am a legal gun owner, obey the laws, and do not harm anyone.  I have taught gun safety, conducted range firings, and have personally fired thousands or rounds.  With over 27 years of military experience with weapons, I have never had a injury, death, or even an abnormal incident in any of my training. 

I now reside in Thailand and would like to bring some of my weapons here, but to date have not actively worked the issues.  I will respect the laws of this country as I am a guest here. 

So not sure what serious problems I have other than a live and let live philosophy and believe that as long as you aren't hurting anyone or trying to inflict youself on me, I really don't care what you do. 

As for Zimmerman (the neighborhood watch guy), I do not know if he is guilty, and there are at least 2 sides to every story.  For example, the dead guy was out in the rain supposedly to go to 7-11 to get some skittles.  Skittles aka dxm, and sometimes known as ecstasy, so was this teenager that was suspended from school for drugs out getting drugs?  There is a lot of misinformation, distortions, outright lies, and race baiting associated with this incident.  I just hope justice is done and if Zimmerman (who is Hispanic) gets a fair trial and if guilty, get what he deserves.

Here are some other pictures you may not have seen:

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #174 on: April 28, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »

Since Nookie knows all, I am sure he knew this also:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/think-you-...the-perception/

Think You Know George Zimmerman? This New Timeline and Profile Could Change the Perception (and the Case)

When the Trayvon Martin case first started garnering national attention, there were many that thought they knew who George Zimmerman was: an overzealous racist with a vendetta against young black men who was on a mission to assert power with his gun. But then little details started emerging, such as pictures of Zimmerman’s bloody head that could bolster his self-defense claim; CNN even backtracked and said the tape it once suggested showed Zimmerman uttering a racist slur was actually him most likely saying it was “cold.”

And now, Reuters has put together a detailed profile of Zimmerman that seems to suggest he was a concerned citizen that was trying to help fix his community and those in it reeling from recent crime. He was a compassionate neighbor, it seems, not a lunatic with a gun.

“During the time Zimmerman was in hiding, his detractors defined him as a vigilante who had decided Martin was suspicious merely because he was black,” Reuters reports. “After Zimmerman was finally arrested on a charge of second-degree murder more than six weeks after the shooting, prosecutors portrayed him as a violent and angry man who disregarded authority by pursuing the 17-year-old.

“But a more nuanced portrait of Zimmerman has emerged from a Reuters investigation into Zimmerman’s past and a series of incidents in the community in the months preceding the Martin shooting.” [Emphasis added]

So what does it show? For starters, it was an animal control officer who told Zimmerman he should get a gun after a pit bull was menacing him and his wife. His friends, however, never even knew he had a firemarm until about two months ago. And, Reuters says, “He was raised in a racially integrated household and himself has black roots through an Afro-Peruvian great-grandfather – the father of the maternal grandmother who helped raise him.”

Business Insider put together some chronological bullet points highlighting the article’s most important points:

•Zimmerman grew up in a mixed-race household
•He was an altar boy at his Caltholic church from age 7-17
•He is bilingual
•After he finished high school, he studied for and got an insurance license
•In 2004, Zimmerman and a black friend opened an Allstate insurance office (which soon failed)
•Zimmerman’s 2005 arrest for “resisting arrest, violence, and battery of an officer” occurred after he shoved an under-cover alcohol control agent at a bar when the agent was trying to arrest an underage friend of his
•Zimmerman married his wife, Shellie, in 2007. They rented a house in Twin Lakes. Twin Lakes is about 50% white, 20% Hispanic, and 20% black.
•In 2009, Zimmerman enrolled in Seminole State College
•In the fall of 2009, a pit bull broke free twice and once cornered Shellie in the Zimmermans’ yard. George Zimmerman asked a police officer whether he should buy pepper spray. The cop told him pepper spray wasn’t fast enough and recommended that he get a gun.
•By the summer of 2011, Twin Lakes “was experiencing a rash of burglaries and break-ins.” In several of the cases, witnesses said the robbers were young black men
•In July 2011, a black teenager stole a bicycle off the Zimmermans’ porch
•In August of 2011, a neighbor of the Zimmermans, Olivia Bertalan, was home during the day when two young black men entered her house. She hid in a room upstairs and called the police. When the police arrived, the two men, who had been trying to take a TV, fled. One of them ran through the Zimmermans’ yard.
•After the break-in, George Zimmerman stopped by the Bertalans and gave Olivia a card with his name and number on it. He told her to visit his wife Shellie if she felt unsafe.
•The police recommended that Bertalan get a dog. She moved away instead. Zimmerman got a second dog–a Rottweiler.
•In September, several concerned residents of the neighborhood, including Zimmerman, asked the neighborhood association to create a neighborhood watch. Zimmerman was asked to run it.
•In the next month, two more houses in the neighborhood were robbed.
•A community newsletter reminded residents to report any crimes to the police and then call “George Zimmerman, our captain.”
•On February 2, 2012, Zimmerman spotted a young black man looking into the windows of a neighbor’s empty house. He called the police and said “I don‘t know what he’s doing. I don’t want to approach him, personally.” The police sent a car, but by the time they arrived, the man was gone.
•On February 6th, another house was burglarized. Witnesses said two of the robbers were black teenagers. One, who had prior burglary convictions, was soon caught with a laptop stolen from the house.
•Two weeks later, Zimmerman spotted Travyon Martin and called the police. The last time he had done this, the suspect got away. This time, he disregarded police instructions and followed. A few minutes later, Martin was dead.

Is it possible that Zimmerman is an angry racist? It is. But as Business Insider wonders, “doesn’t it make you feel a bit differently about Zimmerman?”

To again quote Nookie:  We all know dont we!!

No, I don't know, WTF are you talking about? 

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:31:51 AM by urleft »

Offline tonypace01

« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2012, 08:13:53 AM »
In the 1960's in a small town in New Jersey, I was a member of the Auxiliary Police. We were sworn, wore uniforms, carried .38 police specials, and patrolled the business district at night in pairs. We also did much of the mundane police work, like directing traffic at highly attended events, patrolling high school dances, looking for lost children, and controlling crime and accident scenes, leaving the more important police work to the small squad of 30 regulars. I was warned that, if I actually shot anybody wuth the pistol, even in self defense, I would likely be prosecuted, but at least I would be alive to defend myself. I was advised to leave the first chamber of the revolver empty. In the eight years I lived in that town I never once heard of an AP officer firing his pistol. I was also involved in setting up recreation programs for neighborhood kids, so, when my mother's house was robbed while she was shopping, we knew within 10 minutes of getting home who had broken in. I suspect Zimmerman operated under a similar mandate. I hope the events of that situation are as he describes them and that they lead to his acquittal, not so much for his sake, as for his community. His conviction is certain to lead to a reduction in participation in Community Watch volunteers.
With the number of people supporting both sides of the issue, I think Zimmerman will get a fair trial and the outcome will be worked out in the court, not the press. I won't make a judgment because the U.S.A. of 1965 is a lot different from the U.S.A. of today and I am not there today.
BTW: To Urleft: good job on the photo doctoring. Too little has been said about the news media presenting the accused photos in a manner that makes them look more suspicious. 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2012, 08:52:51 AM »
Have some additional pictures to include the back of Zimmerman's head when the police got there:

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2012, 09:01:24 AM »
And just got this one:

chairhit

Offline tonypace01

« Reply #178 on: May 07, 2012, 12:18:27 PM »

How many did?

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2012, 12:51:41 PM »
Urleft you need to have a close look at yourself,,,,,Let me give you something else to chew on....Anyone who isnt American knows why!!

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Gerry
August 29, 2024, 02:33:22 PM

information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Murtle_71
August 29, 2024, 07:11:47 AM

Re: Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by badboldie
July 26, 2024, 03:03:06 PM

Re: Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by Gerry
July 26, 2024, 02:55:12 PM

Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by badboldie