{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Social network sites Thai political divide  (Read 9270 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
Social network sites Thai political divide
« on: May 04, 2010, 02:34:11 PM »
Its just too funny, also all the concept of Facebook is kind of nice but lets say I see a very (VERY) far friend of mine I used to study at high school, and that give me what? first look nice, second look send you straight out of the page.
I know some friends of mine spend hours in facebook..  confused4  

Unless you Marco Polo of course.....  :D rolleyesbar

---------------------------------------------------------------
Social network sites Thai political divide  
The Nation: 4 May 2010
Social networking web sites are now political battlefields

By Onravee Tangmeesang
The Nation
Published on May 4, 2010

The level of stress related to the ongoing political crisis is rising thanks to social networks such as Facebook and Twitter.

After a report aired on Modernine, warned people of the dangers of using social-networking websites, The Nation conducted a survey and discovered that many users admitted they were getting stressed out by opinions and photographs posted on Facebook and Twitter.

"Since social-networking websites are accessible to one and all, reporters can file news faster and people can consume this news instantly. However, sometimes they disagree with the news, and start expressing their own opinions. Everyone thinks they are right. I, too, get annoyed and tense when I see my friends posting articles, photos and videos of the group I dislike," university student Kamonkarn Tananbunsathit said.

This inability to put up with different opinions has escalated to the level that people are "unfriending" or removing or even blocking others on Facebook. This difference of opinions is breaking up people who have known each other since school.

"My secondary school friend just removed me from her list of friends on Facebook. We were close, and I never thought I'd have been 'unfriended'. But then I went to her profile and found out that she had removed me because we have different political viewpoints," an executive of a cosmetics company recounted.

"I have removed a couple of my friends from Facebook because they used inappropriate language to attack the group I support. It was too much to handle," housewife and mother of two, Nantinee Chantapalaboon, said.

The beauty of social media is that it allows instant communication, though it's shortcoming is that you cannot stop messages from reaching people you don't want to communicate with.

"I am just posting my opinions. If they irritate you, press the skip button," a freelance writer posted on her Facebook page.

"I'm not inviting you to be my friend and if you don't agree with my opinions, just unfriend me," a veteran journalist said.

Facebook, fortunately, comes with a "hide" function that allows you to keep people you want to avoid off your home page. Besides, some people have found other ways to escape the stress.

"I distract myself by studying Dhamma. I am learning not to let different opinions get to me," university student, Apinya Wannachai, said.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Gerry
August 29, 2024, 02:33:22 PM

information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Murtle_71
August 29, 2024, 07:11:47 AM

Re: Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by badboldie
July 26, 2024, 03:03:06 PM

Re: Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by Gerry
July 26, 2024, 02:55:12 PM

Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by badboldie