{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Water storage in the garden  (Read 16207 times)

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
Re: Water storage in the garden
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 11:37:08 AM »
Man of a few words in your last post Nick !

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »

Quote from: Prakhonchai Nick
In my opinion and that of my deep well installer -totally unnecessary
I assume he is Thai then Nick  :laugh:

He is indeed Thai! Would you expect a foreigner to dig deep wells in Thailand?

I was happy to accept his opinion at the time (after many years of well digging) and have had no reason to question his recommendation over the years.

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 12:04:33 PM »
Ingenious indeed red jet - but the cost for a water tank and a pump must be taken into consideration when considering  whether to have the added assurance or go without. Everything in life comes with a price!

Whether you have 1 pump or 2, what happens when you have a power cut? I always keep a couple of "ongs" full of water for such emergencies.

"Ongs" are a Kok Ma unit of measurement  -  chai mai ?

Not at all CoCo.

I said I keep my "ongs" full of water, therefore implying they were storage vessels, and not measurement aids!

An 'ong' is the name given to 250litre capacity earthenware jars by the local Thais.

So one 'ong'  is 250 litres    biggreen

How long can you store water in an 'ong' - does it become stale after a time ?

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 12:09:51 PM »
Ingenious indeed red jet - but the cost for a water tank and a pump must be taken into consideration when considering  whether to have the added assurance or go without. Everything in life comes with a price!

Whether you have 1 pump or 2, what happens when you have a power cut? I always keep a couple of "ongs" full of water for such emergencies.

"Ongs" are a Kok Ma unit of measurement  -  chai mai ?

Not at all CoCo.

I said I keep my "ongs" full of water, therefore implying they were storage vessels, and not measurement aids!

An 'ong' is the name given to 250litre capacity earthenware jars by the local Thais.

So one 'ong'  is 250 litres    biggreen

How long can you store water in an 'ong' - does it become stale after a time ?

No CoCo.

An ONG is NOT a unit of measurement.

An ONG holds approx 250 litres (I believe you can buy even bigger ones -although they nay have another name)

The Thais generally use them to collect rainwater, which supplies them with drinking water throughout the year. What it tastes like after 6,9 or even 12 months I have no idea. Perhaps you would care to experiment and report back.

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 12:15:25 PM »
Large jars (in Thailand called klong jars) are ideal vessels for water storage.  Strong and sturdy, they are not likely to overturn and spill the contents.  The density also helps to keep liquids cool, and the thick round mouth rim enables the jar to be sealed with a cover (made of aluminum or wood) for protection from insects and dusts.  As many as ten or twenty large storage jars may be placed around a typical house in rural Southeast Asia.  Some jars are used to collect rainwater for drinking.  Others, filled from the nearest natural water source, such as a river or tributary, are used for cooking and washing.

The locals (at least in my area) abbreviate the name to ONG.

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 12:18:11 PM »
Large jars (in Thailand called klong jars) are ideal vessels for water storage.  Strong and sturdy, they are not likely to overturn and spill the contents.  The density also helps to keep liquids cool, and the thick round mouth rim enables the jar to be sealed with a cover (made of aluminum or wood) for protection from insects and dusts.  As many as ten or twenty large storage jars may be placed around a typical house in rural Southeast Asia.  Some jars are used to collect rainwater for drinking.  Others, filled from the nearest natural water source, such as a river or tributary, are used for cooking and washing.

The locals in your area have webbed feet through inter-breeding !!  whistle

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 12:27:38 PM »

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC

Not if the inter-breds are going around influencing your bastardisation of the language.

Next, you will be coming up with phrases like "Mi Loo" instead of the Thai norm of mai roo !!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mario299

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 12:42:13 PM »
Hi

Thanks for all the feedback! :)
My tank base is approx 1.5m off the ground with what I guess maybe a pressure pump taking the water into the house. The pump activates when a tap etc is turned on.
My wife arranged to have this fitted so I don't know exactly what type it is.
Is there any way of telling this for when I may be buying a replacement?

The well fitters said I may as well raise the height of the tank instead of buying a new pump. I don't like the tank in the garden as it is an I'm concerned that a tank tower will be more of an eye sore...however...
I I'm not sure if I should raise the tank, get a new pump or both.
If I had both would I still have flow from the tank if the pump is ever out of action?

In the link provided it mentions that plastic tanks arent as good as stainless steel versions. My tank is approx. 8 months old..is it worth keeping it for a while longer?

And now back on topic, if only briefly...
Jamie, you should be able to find a tag on the pump that tells everything you need in order to replace it with the same type, if not the exact same pump. As the previous discussions have noted, you can decide to raise your blue tank to be operable in case of loss of power, gravity should be enough if you raise it high enough, but I agree with the eyesore opinion.

As to why you would want a storage tank in the first place, we get water piped from a reservoir to our storage tank, but it first goes through a filter before it goes into the tank. With your well water you probably have a lot of mineral deposits in your water than can be filtered before it goes to your house if you go through the storage tank first. You can even put a filter before the storage tank and after the storage tank to help eliminate the corrosion,etc. you get from the well water.

Regarding the blue plastic tanks, we had one initially and used it for a couple of years, but it became completely coated on the inside walls with the fungus (?) or whatever is in the water. We have since gone to stainless steel tanks for water storage and I like them much better, they stay a lot cleaner.

Good luck, hope this helps. Oh yes, and the ong jars mentioned are great for keeping rain water to use for the garden watering, we have several of them as well.
 thumbup

Red Jet

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »

The Thais generally use them to collect rainwater, which supplies them with drinking water throughout the year. What it tastes like after 6,9 or even 12 months I have no idea. Perhaps you would care to experiment and report back.

I drink water from these all the time ,even when its nearly a year old ,it has never done me any harm.If you don't believe me ask SDK or Manupete  :laugh:

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 12:47:04 PM »
I think CoCo  must have recently changed his medications. Some recent postings have been unnecessarily venomous. Let's have a little bit more "bagwan" shall we CoCo!

If the up market, hi-so population of Prakhonchai wish to call the storage jars by some other name than the local village folk (whether having webbed feet or not), then that is their entitlement. I was merely passing along information as I have come to learn.

Red Jet

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2011, 12:58:31 PM »
I think CoCo  must have recently changed his medications. Some recent postings have been unnecessarily venomous. Let's have a little bit more "bagwan" shall we CoCo!

If the up market, hi-so population of Prakhonchai wish to call the storage jars by some other name than the local village folk (whether having webbed feet or not), then that is their entitlement. I was merely passing along information as I have come to learn.

Take no notice of him Nick,CoCo probably had a failed attempt at a jump this-morning   :biggrin:

BTW.... I use one of these 'Ongs' as my water tank,at 700 Baht and 150 Baht for the galvanized lid ...a bargain and does the job.I did get the guy who makes them to fit a 1 1/2" outlet for suppling the pressure pump though and they can be painted to what ever colour you like once they have seasoned  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 01:12:09 PM by Red Jet »

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 01:30:30 PM »

Nothing venomous  --  just adopting the Nookiebear style of posting for a while - poke and step back !

I can also assure boloa that there was nothing unsuccessful about this mornings 'jump start'   smilenod

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »
It is most unbecoming of a former bank manager, CoCo. Be your own man!

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2011, 01:34:29 PM »

I drink water from these all the time ,even when its nearly a year old ,it has never done me any harm.If you don't believe me ask SDK or Manupete  :laugh:

That explains much Red Jet! Thank you for your excellent input and detail to the concerns of the op

Your reference to others suggests you are in "close" contact with them. They, like yourself, were always  very obliging with information.

Manupete's posts are sorely missed on this forum by many, and I feel if he were around today, the Shoutbox would be a far more pleasant read than what it has become over the past months

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Parking @ Chong Chom Border Crossing by andy
Yesterday at 06:50:48 PM

Re: information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Gerry
August 29, 2024, 02:33:22 PM

information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Murtle_71
August 29, 2024, 07:11:47 AM

Re: Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by badboldie
July 26, 2024, 03:03:06 PM

Re: Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by Gerry