{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Water storage in the garden  (Read 16212 times)

Offline ironryon

• Contributor with future
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Water storage in the garden
« on: October 15, 2011, 07:05:07 PM »
Hello again buriram people

Using advice given a while ago I now have water being supplied from 42 metres under my house!!

This water is being pumped into our 2000ltr blue plastic storage tank.
I have a pump which takes the water from the tank into the house when a tap or appliance calls on it.
This pump I'm afraid is now on it's last legs and I'm not sure what to do for the best...

I've been advised by the guys that installed the well pump that I should not need a new pump or any pump at all if I just raise the height of the storage tank enough for gravity to do all the work.

I'm unsure whether this pressure will be enough for the shower etc
Could anyone advise me on what's best to do?????

Thank you kindly

Jamie

Offline mario299

Re: Water storage in the garden
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 07:26:02 PM »
Hi Jamie
I need to understand a little better before I can suggest anything. You now have two pumps, is this correct? One pump brings water from the well to the blue storage tank, and a second pump takes water to the house for showers, etc.

Which pump is now failing? If it is the one that brings water from the well to the storage tank, replace it...not "usually" a big project. If it is the one that takes water from the blue storage tank to the house then perhaps raising the height of the tank will suffice with enough pressure for showers, etc. How high is this storage tank now? Or, you can replace that pump as well, again not a big project "usually".

Need a little better information about exactly what the problem is.
Thanks!

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 09:49:42 PM »
An even more basic question  -  why do you need the storage tank ?

Red Jet

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:14:39 PM »

Well pumps like to run continuously for a while ( not on and off like a pressure pump) ,its best to have a tank to store your water.When the tank is half empty you have a float switch to fill it up from the well.
Then you can have 2 options
#1 Like mario, have a raised tank and let gravity supply your water ( I think tanks up in the air are ugly but are simple with no working parts to fail) Plus you still have water in a power cut but pressure is only as good as the height you have your tank off the ground .
#2 Have a pressure pump on your tank so when you open a tap the water is supplied under pressure from the pump.

Pressure pumps have a life of about 5-8 years or longer ( if your lucky) ,well pumps are about the same ( I have found ) Both are about 5k ( depending on make and model ) and are easy to replace. :)

Red Jet

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 10:23:10 PM »
This site explains water options ,tanks and pumps in more detail  cool1

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/origCTH/infowater.htm

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 10:39:06 PM »
Helpful as always Red Jet  -  thanks.

Offline ironryon

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 04:52:05 AM »
Hi

Thanks for all the feedback! :)
My tank base is approx 1.5m off the ground with what I guess maybe a pressure pump taking the water into the house. The pump activates when a tap etc is turned on.
My wife arranged to have this fitted so I don't know exactly what type it is.
Is there any way of telling this for when I may be buying a replacement?

The well fitters said I may as well raise the height of the tank instead of buying a new pump. I don't like the tank in the garden as it is an I'm concerned that a tank tower will be more of an eye sore...however...
I I'm not sure if I should raise the tank, get a new pump or both.
If I had both would I still have flow from the tank if the pump is ever out of action?

In the link provided it mentions that plastic tanks arent as good as stainless steel versions. My tank is approx. 8 months old..is it worth keeping it for a while longer?

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 05:33:23 AM »

Well pumps like to run continuously for a while ( not on and off like a pressure pump) ,its best to have a tank to store your water.

Who told you that Red Jet?

In my opinion and that of my deep well installer -totally unnecessary. I've had my 44 metre deep well and pump for 6 years now directly feeding the taps etc, with no problem!

Even the writer on cool Thai House says it's an opinion only.

Red Jet

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 10:51:20 AM »

Well pumps like to run continuously for a while ( not on and off like a pressure pump) ,its best to have a tank to store your water.

Who told you that Red Jet?

In my opinion and that of my deep well installer -totally unnecessary. I've had my 44 metre deep well and pump for 6 years now directly feeding the taps etc, with no problem!

Even the writer on cool Thai House says it's an opinion only.

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly.There are 2 types of well pump

1# Submersible Pump,these are pumps that are fitted in-line under ground and push the water to the surface

2# Jet pumps ( pressure pumps like yours Nick ) sit on the surface and use suction to bring the water to the suface with the aid of added pressure from the pump

When I said Well pumps like to run continuously  for a while ( not on and off like a pressure pump) I was talking about Submersible water pumps and not pressure ( Jet ) pumps as you have Nick  ....but this is just an opinion  Nick :P

Here is a site that explains the 2 types of well pumps..click here

Red Jet

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 11:10:37 AM »

I have a jet pump and a storage water tank with another pressure pump that pumps the water into the house.Last month my well pump packed up and needed servicing but as I had a water tank I still had water for 2 days whist the well pump was being fixed.If it wasn't for the water tank I would have been without water whist waiting for the well pump to be fixed.One of the advantages of not having the reliance on just the well pump as you do Nick .If my pressure pump packs up I can turn a valve and get water straight from the well pump......ingenious hey Nick  cool1

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 11:15:35 AM »
Ingenious indeed red jet - but the cost for a water tank and a pump must be taken into consideration when considering  whether to have the added assurance or go without. Everything in life comes with a price!

Whether you have 1 pump or 2, what happens when you have a power cut? I always keep a couple of "ongs" full of water for such emergencies.

Offline Vombatus

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 11:27:48 AM »
Ingenious indeed red jet - but the cost for a water tank and a pump must be taken into consideration when considering  whether to have the added assurance or go without. Everything in life comes with a price!

Whether you have 1 pump or 2, what happens when you have a power cut? I always keep a couple of "ongs" full of water for such emergencies.

"Ongs" are a Kok Ma unit of measurement  -  chai mai ?

Offline Krok Kinuh

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 11:28:13 AM »
I use the same installation as Red Jet but after it was installed I thought it had been better if we installed the tank A few meters above the ground on a platform so we would still have waterpressure during a powercuts. The platform would cost extra but you save money on the second pump.

Red Jet

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 11:29:11 AM »

Our Village has just had Government Water pipe-line installed with water from the Village pond.A new valve and pipework will soon be installed just for when we are without power. cool1

Quote from: Prakhonchai Nick
In my opinion and that of my deep well installer -totally unnecessary
I assume he is Thai then Nick  :laugh:

Quote from: Prakhonchai Nick

Assurance like insurance always costs...... as you well know Nick  smilenod

Offline Prakhonchai Nick

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 11:32:36 AM »

"Ongs" are a Kok Ma unit of measurement  -  chai mai ?

Not at all CoCo.

I said I keep my "ongs" full of water, therefore implying they were storage vessels, and not measurement aids!

An 'ong' is the name given to 250litre capacity earthenware jars by the local Thais.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:35:38 AM by Prakhonchai Nick »

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Parking @ Chong Chom Border Crossing by andy
Yesterday at 06:50:48 PM

Re: information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Gerry
August 29, 2024, 02:33:22 PM

information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Murtle_71
August 29, 2024, 07:11:47 AM

Re: Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by badboldie
July 26, 2024, 03:03:06 PM