{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Britain to crackdown on UK child-abuse offenders in Thailand  (Read 7398 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
Britain to crackdown on UK child-abuse offenders in Thailand
« on: March 11, 2011, 11:38:14 AM »
Britain to crackdown on UK child-abuse offenders in Thailand
By Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation 2011-03-11

Children need to be empowered, with stakeholders working closing together and being vigilant in order to tackle the issue of child-sex offenders, Peter Davies, CEO of the London-based Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP), said.

Davies, and his colleague Tim Gerrish, were in Bangkok earlier this week to exchange views with the Thai police and the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) - a sign that the British government was taking the issue of child-sex offences by UK nationals seriously.

The two also visited Vietnam and Cambodia, the other two top destinations for British child-sex offenders after Thailand.

Gerrish said his government had more than 30,000 paedophiles and child-sex offenders on its watchlist, and had enlisted some 50,000 volunteers to disseminate useful information and preventive advice, which has reached up to 7 million people so far.

Both explained that their visit to Thailand and work with related agencies here shows how important issue is for the UK government.

"The message is that the UK is not a nation of sex offenders, and is prepared to tackle this issue," Gerrish said. Last October, Gerrish was in Thailand to help run a training session for 125 teachers from public and private schools.

Davies explained that it was crucial to teach children to look after themselves in both online and offline environments. The United Kingdom has introduced educational products such as five to 10-minute video clips that can be used in school to help raise children's awareness. CEOP is considering if similar products might be useful in Thai schools as well.

He said the problem of child-sex offences would have to be addressed both in Thailand and in the UK. "Some of that is about education and some of that is about social issues, which can take a long time to tackle," he said.

Davies added that while those caught for drug trafficking in Thailand were almost always denied bail, child-sex offence cases were treated more leniently.

When asked to compare the severity of the situation in Thailand vis-?-vis other nations, both Davies and Gerrish said such comparisons were unhelpful.

"We will not look for hot spots because it limits our work," Gerrish said, adding that the centre might "miss what is going on elsewhere"

as a result. Though CEOP has contacts in South American and Eastern European nations, Davies insisted that "statistics tell us very little".

"It so happens that Southeast Asia is the first continent where we have work. Anywhere in the world, where there are UK nationals, it's a place of our concern," Davies, who was formerly a police officer in Oxfordshire, said. He also highlighted the fact that in many cases, child-sex offenders were members of the family, which made it difficult for it to be reported to the police.

As for online exploitation, Davies said websites displaying sex-crimes against children were often blocked and persons behind them were prosecuted. He said that just five years ago, people could make a lot of money selling such images, but now offenders are selling access to images of child abuse instead. Paedophiles are also sharing such images through smart phones, though the UK authorities have had some success in making arrests, Davies said.

"The distinction between online and offline [abuse] is not so great," he said, adding that more thought was needed in caring for victims in terms of rehabilitation and recovery. He also said that media coverage of high-profile arrests could work as a deterrent.

boloa

Re: Britain to crackdown on UK child-abuse offenders in Thailand
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 11:51:52 AM »
And the battle continues......this sort of thing has been going on for a long time.My only hope is that one day the authorities will win but the sad thing is  these sick people will always find a poor place to ply their trade  :(

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 11:56:40 AM »
And the battle continues......this sort of thing has been going on for a long time.My only hope is that one day the authorities will win but the sad thing is  these sick people will always find a poor place to ply their trade  :(
Gary Glitter was a 'classic ' example...........

Offline Pee Nuu

• Contributor on the right way
  • huh..??
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:49:07 AM »
It translated: We really don't give a rat's arse....just going through the motions. Imagery is everything.

Offline John the Traveller

• Long distance perforator+maker of small things
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 06:53:54 PM »
It translated: We really don't give a rat's arse....just going through the motions. Imagery is everything.
Be carefull Pee Nuu you are approaching "too far"
John

Offline Pee Nuu

• huh..??
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 07:59:43 PM »
Thanks, Rambo. I'll keep it under advisement.

Dave the Dude

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 08:13:46 PM »
And once again in English?

den Buut

Offline Pee Nuu

• huh..??
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 09:56:46 PM »
And once again in English?
That was for you as well, David. Hook, line, sinker. monkeydancing

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 04:39:53 PM »
Sic Semper Tyrannis Pee Nuu. We will catch up.....Surin in May???

den Buut

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 07:02:35 PM »
You like  threathening people J t T bravo1, they have Twitter for that nowadays, try it.

Offline Pee Nuu

• huh..??
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 07:32:42 PM »
Sic Semper Tyrannis Pee Nuu. We will catch up.....Surin in May???
Thanks for the invitation, John. But I don't make it a habit of keeping company with the Farang community, certainly not with the likes as a wannabe newbie as yourself. And folks wonder why I've never sought out the Farang brotherhood, and there circle, here. One just needs to spend time absorbing thai-based expat forums to understand what sort of creatures reside or come-and-go.

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 04:38:12 PM »
Well Pee Wee I can see why that the Farang community don't give you the opportunity to be in company with them. I think you crawl these forums to use them as a crutch for your clearly deficient ego. You trip from forum to forum attempting to display your 'Superiority" of knowledge on all things.
Anyway PW you are a source of humour and derision within the community and as such would appear to serve a purpose! As to me....well maybe I'm not as bigger newbie as you think  sawadi

Offline dundeemk6

• Active member on the right way
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 05:00:22 PM »
John, keep it calm, it isn't worth to get your bloodpressure up ... keept it simple make it happen .. -. got my drift ... good luck

den Buut

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 07:11:01 PM »
Well Pee Wee I can see why that the Farang community don't give you the opportunity to be in company with them. I think you crawl these forums to use them as a crutch for your clearly deficient ego. You trip from forum to forum attempting to display your 'Superiority" of knowledge on all things.
Anyway PW you are a source of humour and derision within the community and as such would appear to serve a purpose! As to me....well maybe I'm not as bigger newbie as you think  sawadi

No John Wayne, it's beceause of people like you he doesn't want to meet people of western origin any more, and I agree to him. buttslap

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Gerry
August 29, 2024, 02:33:22 PM

information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Murtle_71
August 29, 2024, 07:11:47 AM

Re: Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by badboldie
July 26, 2024, 03:03:06 PM

Re: Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by Gerry
July 26, 2024, 02:55:12 PM

Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by badboldie