{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Gun Culture in USA  (Read 234146 times)

Offline manni

• Contributor with future
Re: Gun Culture in USA
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2011, 04:58:02 AM »
I think I speak for the other Americans on the board when I say this Yank bashing better end or I'm gonna go fetch my guns! :)

I have spent the majority of my life on the east coast of the U.S., mostly in D.C., New York and Philadelphia. I have never owned a gun, shot a gun or held a gun and I have no desire to.  I can recall seeing one gun in person in my lifetime. That was when I was in university in the Netherlands, not even in the U.S.

The gun toting red necks are as simultaneously laughable and frightening to me as they are to you. With the exception of televison, I come into contact with those Americans in my daily life as about as frequently as you fellas do.  America is a big place with a diverse populace. 

Clearly there is a gun problem in the U.S., but I think you guys are making assumptions about all Americans attitudes towards guns and gun  ownership based on the very small, yet very vocal minority of gun rights advocates. 

redrover

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2011, 06:55:03 PM »
Manni, with all due respect, general assumptions and attitude inquiries toward the American character is quite easy, as it is the only Western culture that boastfully wears itself on it's sleeve. Lucid humility could play a part in character advancement, if such social traits existed amongst your kindred. Largely, this fanciful examination of an exceptional and extraordinary civilisation is received with falsehoods throughout most of the world. This social and character enhancement is purely a domestic illusion.... loco screwy

Offline Paddyram

• Contributor on the right way
  • Censored!
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2011, 08:27:53 PM »
Manni, with all due respect, general assumptions and attitude inquiries toward the American character is quite easy, as it is the only Western culture that boastfully wears itself on it's sleeve. Lucid humility could play a part in character advancement, if such social traits existed amongst your kindred. Largely, this fanciful examination of an exceptional and extraordinary civilisation is received with falsehoods throughout most of the world. This social and character enhancement is purely a domestic illusion.... loco screwy
Firstly, I am not an American and I am no fan of American foreign policy or it's lack of proper control over the selling of firearms.
But as I understand from your comment above, you are basically saying that humility as a social trait is lacking in American society in general, and that they could do with some (more) humility as part of Character advancememt (as if they should fix this charater flaw) or did I misunderstand your post ? 
But then you go on to say that this character enhancement is purely a domestic illusion and you imply that the rest of the world has a false view of America society.
I am just interested in understanding your point, but I can't follow what you are saying.
In plain english, what are you trying to say ?

boloa

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2011, 08:39:34 PM »
I am just interested in understanding your point, but I can't follow what you are saying.

Join the club Paddy ....LOL

redrover

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2011, 09:33:04 PM »
Followers need not apply. Best to distance yourself....keep to your textbooks. whistle

Offline John the Traveller

• Long distance perforator+maker of small things
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2011, 06:30:11 PM »
Followers need not apply. Best to distance yourself....keep to your textbooks. whistle
And some people ,redrover, should stay in Surin and warm themselves by the fire of psycho babble! It has been some time since I have read such a load of rubbish. I feel I am not alone in my thoughts!
Your "one size fits all" barely intelligible outlook is embarassing.
Stay off the rice wine mate!!!!!!!
John

redrover

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »
Case rested. Blind ignorance and vacant thought is still a truer virtue throughout many circles... spot1 pray1

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2011, 06:37:44 PM »
It would appear that you would know better than the rest of us about that mate!

den Buut

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2011, 09:10:39 PM »
It would appear that you would know better than the rest of us about that mate!
Guess you're living the American dream.

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
Yes you are right den Buut.....you are guessing!

Offline Paddyram

• Censored!
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2011, 03:02:59 AM »
John,

what are you shooting at the moment ?

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2011, 04:36:28 PM »
Hi Paddy,
no I'm not. I am currently licensed but have nothing registered in my name. I do have access through a family member. Target shooting , especially at Olympic level, is quite expensive and requires a huge time commitment. I haven't shot at quite that level but even at middling to three quarter level it taxes the wallet. Many ex service personnel were subsidised to keep up their skill level but I'm not aware if that is still the case here (Australia not America). In my early days licensing was a little easier but now it is tightly controlled. I am very happy that situation exists. I note with interest that the Swiss people voted in a referendum over the weekend to stop the practice of storing assault rifles at home by the Militia. It is time that practice ceased.
When I had a lot to do with shorts ,(concealable firearms, pistols and the like), we had a mantra drummed into us " If you load it you will carry it, if you carry it you will use it......so don't carry it" This of course applied to off duty times not those of justifiable use. It is as well to remember that in this country ,and I think the UK also, if a person who is authorised to apply deadly force does so they are immediately charged with either murder, manslaughter or assault occasioning grievous bodily harm.This applies to military personnel engaged in Counter Terrorist roles. I have spoken to many people who have acted in this role and to a man and woman they have acknowledged the incredible responsibility they carry and their desire to apply lesser forms of force wherever humanly possible.
That's pretty much it for me on the subject.
Cheers,
John

Offline Paddyram

• Censored!
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2011, 05:42:49 PM »
Its very strict on firearms here is Ireland also, due to our paramilitary past.  Handguns are almost entirely illegal, with only competitive shooting at licenced pistol clubs, but getting a licence for a handgun is almost impossible.
Licences for Shotguns and Hunting rifles up to 0.22 are relatively straight forward but you still need to get forms filled, etc.  Anything over 0.223 is considered high power and only suitable for Deer and needs a special licence from the Department of the Environment.  But in all cases you have to prove membership of a gun club and/or get two landowners to sign giving you permission to shoot on their land.  The application process operates through your local Garda (police) station, so if you have a record or are known as a bit of a 'nutter' locally, then the Garda can object to the licence.  And if you move they check with the station at your previous address.  All in all the system works.  Getting back to my original post, I would think that a similar system in the US as opposed to the current over-the-counter sales method would save some lives.

den Buut

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2011, 06:17:07 PM »
A little off topic, isn't it, please make it a date and tell eachother big strories in a bar somewhere. love2

Offline Paddyram

• Censored!
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »
A little off topic, isn't it, please make it a date and tell eachother big strories in a bar somewhere. love2

How is that off-topic ?,
We were discussing gun ownership in the US and I was explaining how it works in Ireland as a contrast to the US.
What big stories ?

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Gerry
August 29, 2024, 02:33:22 PM

information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Murtle_71
August 29, 2024, 07:11:47 AM

Re: Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by badboldie
July 26, 2024, 03:03:06 PM

Re: Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by Gerry
July 26, 2024, 02:55:12 PM