{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Gun Culture in USA  (Read 233796 times)

Offline Speros

• Prolific Member
  • http://buriramexpats.com/
Re: Gun Culture in USA
« Reply #255 on: May 20, 2013, 12:07:08 AM »
Even if a gun could toast a cheese sandwich I would warm to the argument about vehicles, but it wont. the numbers vary on death on road accidents in the USA,... It seems to vary from about 32000 to 42000, f@ck me this is the worlds leading western country.... That is why statistics will only prove what you want them to, ask a different question and you may get the stats you want!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:09:18 AM by Speros »

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #256 on: May 20, 2013, 08:34:55 AM »
I tried to have a battle of wits with Nookie, but had to back off because:

I hate to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Keith your a better man than that give a better argument, when was the last time you picked up the kids from school, or went shopping with a bushmaster semi auto carrying the load. Bringing in vehicles into the argument about guns is weak indead.... I do expect better.

I personally wouldn't have a bushmaster.  I hated the M-16 that I had to clean in the Army.  However, I was at a reunion with my reserve buddies last weekend and a guy was buying one, because he wanted it. In a little group  (6) of us talking about weapons between us we probably own about 150 guns, and none of us has gone on murderous rampages against civilians, or used our personal weapons to kill anyone. 

As far as carrying a weapon, from 1984 to 2008 I had a concealed weapons permit.  My weapon of choice to carry was a Glock Model 23 .40 Cal.  I put thousands of rounds through it, but all on the firing range.  I regularly had a weapon in the car.  I would carry on my person when I was in less than favorable areas or had valuables. 

Because guns are a right defined in the 2nd Amendment, we don't have to justify the type weapon we want.  Basically the same as a car, why does anyone really need a Porsche, Farrari, etc.  It's a matter of personal choice. 

I have several weapons I would like to obtain.  I just took the Desert Eagle pistol off the list as I was in the PX checking it out, my hand is not big enough for it, too bad, it looks to be a fine weapon. 

As I defined earlier in this forum, the Assault Weapon ban is all about scary looking weapons, it has nothing to do with the weapons capabilities.

Offline Speros

• Prolific Member
« Reply #257 on: May 20, 2013, 08:48:29 AM »
Sorry Keith I was a bit pissed when I wrote this, what I meant was that at least a car has many useful tasks that it helps us in everyday life, the road toll is horrific but at least automobiles serve us and are of great use... While guns serve little or no purpose in the average mans daily life. Rendering the argument of death rate by automobile impotent when comparing to gun related deaths.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:50:12 AM by Speros »

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #258 on: May 20, 2013, 08:51:51 AM »
Simon,you may as well talk to a lump of 6 x 4

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #259 on: May 20, 2013, 10:57:26 AM »
Per the US Constitution, cars are not a right. 

In the US a driver's License is required to legally drive.  And the GVT can recind that license anytime they care too. 

Offline Speros

• Prolific Member
« Reply #260 on: May 20, 2013, 11:04:32 AM »
Not talking about constitutional rights, I'm talking about comparison of death stats of guns and automobiles..... It's like comparing apples with shoelaces..... Either that or both guns and cars should be taken off US citizens as it is clearly a responsibility that cannot handle :P

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #261 on: May 20, 2013, 11:15:50 AM »
One point I am not sure I have made is that whenever a gun tragedy happens, the gun control activists come out with:

It is Reasonable, Let's Compromise, etc.

At no point has a Gun Control activist tried to compromise by removing laws that are not working.  In addition, laws that on the books are not enforced.  For example, less than 1% of illegal gun buyers are ever procecuted for providing false information. 

If the law is not going to be enforced why have it? 

Secondly, it is slowly being admitted that the background check being advocated by the Administration because of Sandy Hook, would not have prevented Sandy Hook.  So why make this law? 

Offline Speros

• Prolific Member
« Reply #262 on: May 20, 2013, 11:25:24 AM »
I'm not making any law, background checks to me is not a gun control, banning Semi auto and auto rifles would be a step in the right direction, they did that in Aust over ten years ago and gun violence is at a record low. It is up to the US to determine its own laws, the world will still watch with disbelief on how a western country who has done great things pulls itself down with the archaic view on "rights " to bear harms and to harm bears :laugh:

Offline rufusredtail

• Reliable reporter with future.
« Reply #263 on: May 20, 2013, 04:46:56 PM »
Statistics on Gun Deaths & Injuries

Posted on November 16, 2012

In 2010, guns took the lives of 31,076 Americans in homicides, suicides and unintentional shootings.  This is the equivalent of more than 85 deaths each day and more than three deaths each hour.1

73,505 Americans were treated in hospital emergency departments for non-fatal gunshot wounds in 2010.2

Firearms were the third-leading cause of injury-related deaths nationwide in 2010, following poisoning and motor vehicle accidents.3

Between 1955 and 1975, the Vietnam War killed over 58,000 American soldiers – less than the number of civilians killed with guns in the U.S. in an average two-year period.4

In the first seven years of the U.S.-Iraq War, over 4,400 American soldiers were killed. Almost as many civilians are killed with guns in the U.S., however, every seven weeks.5

Homicide

Guns were used in 11,078 homicides in the U.S. in 2010, comprising almost 35% of all gun deaths, and over 68% of all homicides.6

On average, 33 gun homicides were committed each day for the years 2005-2010.7

Regions and states with higher rates of gun ownership have significantly higher rates of homicide than states with lower rates of gun ownership.8

Where guns are prevalent, there are significantly more homicides, particularly gun homicides.9

Suicide

Firearms were used in 19,392 suicides in the U.S. in 2010, constituting almost 62% of all gun deaths.10

Over 50% of all suicides are committed with a firearm.11

On average, 49 gun suicides were committed each day for the years 2005-2010.12

White males, about 40% of the U.S. population, accounted for over 80% of firearm suicides in 2010.13

A study of California handgun purchasers found that in the first year after the purchase of a handgun, suicide was the leading cause of death among the purchasers.14

Firearms were used in nearly 44% of suicide deaths among persons under age 25 in 2010.15

More than 75% of guns used in suicide attempts and unintentional injuries of 0-19 year-olds were stored in the residence of the victim, a relative, or a friend.16

The risk of suicide increases in homes where guns are kept loaded and/or unlocked.17

Unintentional Deaths and Injuries

In 2010, unintentional firearm injuries caused the deaths of 606 people.18

From 2005-2010, almost 3,800 people in the U.S. died from unintentional shootings.19

Over 1,300 victims of unintentional shootings for the period 2005–2010 were under 25 years of age.20

People of all age groups are significantly more likely to die from unintentional firearm injuries when they live in states with more guns, relative to states with fewer guns. On average, states with the highest gun levels had nine times the rate of unintentional firearms deaths compared to states with the lowest gun levels.21

A federal government study of unintentional shootings found that 8% of such shooting deaths resulted from shots fired by children under the age of six.22

The U.S. General Accounting Office has estimated that 31% of unintentional deaths caused by firearms might be prevented by the addition of two devices: a child-proof safety lock (8%) and a loading indicator (23%).23

Offline dundeemk6

• Active member on the right way
« Reply #264 on: May 20, 2013, 05:07:31 PM »
so many pages , so many "stuck" opinions ... in my "humble" opinion : gunculture = oxymoron.

Offline rufusredtail

• Reliable reporter with future.
« Reply #265 on: May 20, 2013, 05:09:50 PM »

Second Amendment Basics

Posted on January 1, 2012

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” - The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Four years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court singlehandedly inserted the judicial system into the ongoing national debate over gun laws in America. In a 5-4 decision in 2008’s District of Columbia v. Heller, the Court invalidated the District of Columbia’s handgun ban and firearm storage law, stating for the first time that the Second Amendment protects a responsible, law-abiding citizen’s right to possess an operable handgun in the home for self-defense.

Heller was unquestionably a radical decision, overturning the Court’s previous ruling that the Second Amendment was tied to state militia service. For almost seventy years, lower federal and state courts nationwide had relied on that pronouncement to reject hundreds of Second Amendment challenges.

The Heller decision immediately drew strong criticism from a wide array of legal scholars, historians, advocates and legislators, including a particularly scathing rebuke from respected conservative judge Richard Posner, who noted that, “The only certain effect of the Heller decision will be to increase litigation over gun ownership.”

In fact, new litigation started almost immediately. The day that Heller was announced, plaintiffs filed a lawsuit challenging the City of Chicago’s handgun ban, with a second suit filed the next day. Other suits emerged soon after, escalating once the Supreme Court confirmed that the Second Amendment also applied to state and local laws in 2010’s McDonald v. City of Chicago decision. After that case, the number of lawsuits challenging gun laws nationwide skyrocketed.

Thankfully, despite the explosion of litigation, courts across the country have rejected the overwhelming majority of Second Amendment challenges initiated since Heller. Gun rights advocates and criminal defendants across the country have sought to expand the Second Amendment to invalidate almost every gun law on the books today. In siding with us and the majority of Americans who support sensible gun laws, courts are finding that smart laws aren’t just constitutional – they’re also critical to keeping our communities safe from gun violence.

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #266 on: May 24, 2013, 07:24:10 PM »
JOSEPHINE COUNTY, Ore. (CBS Seattle) — An Oregon woman was told by a 911 dispatcher that authorities wouldn’t be able be able to help her as her ex-boyfriend broke into her place because of budget cuts.

Oregon Public Radio reports that an unidentified woman called 911 during a weekend in August 2012 while Michael Bellah was breaking into her place. Her call was forwarded to Oregon State Police because of lay-offs at the Josephine County Sheriff’s Office only allows the department to be open Monday through Friday.

“Uh, I don’t have anybody to send out there,” the 911 dispatcher told the woman. “You know, obviously, if he comes inside the residence and assaults you, can you ask him to go away? Do you know if he’s intoxicated or anything?”

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/05/23/911-dispatcher-tells-woman-about-to-be-sexually-assaulted-there-are-no-cops-to-help-her-due-to-budget-cuts/

Would a gun have helped her equalize the situation?  Or is this just another acceptable event in keeping guns out of the hands of victims? 

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #267 on: June 17, 2013, 11:25:20 PM »
And back to Nookie that knows everything:

We have zimmerman's bloody head, but the defense is not allowed to autopsy results that the darling Travon was high on drugs and had a history of martial arts fights, and cannot include that Saint Travon was suspended for drugs.   

So Nookie that knows everything, what exactly was the point of your post that "we all know why"?   

And that you have failed to answer despite numerous callouts from me.

Come on Nookie, state exactly what is your point.      Otherwise, STFU as you are a blowhard and full of shit. 

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #268 on: June 18, 2013, 06:56:30 AM »
Keith with all due respect YOU must be the only person that doesn't grasp the nettle..........I'm sorry I never realized just how thick you are!

Offline urleft

• Gifte​d Poster
« Reply #269 on: July 14, 2013, 09:22:39 AM »
Zimmerman, NOT GUILTY

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/13/justice/zimmerman-trial/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

George Zimmerman found not guilty of murder in Trayvon Martin's death
By Greg Botelho, CNN

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Gerry