{Advertisements}

{Advertisements}

Author Topic: Surin Airport to re-open this year.  (Read 5750 times)

dave the dude

Surin Airport to re-open this year.
« on: August 28, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
Link to recent Bangkok Post article about PB-Air plans.
I will be suprised of they keep open 2 airports so geographically close??? buriramsmiley

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/economics/22767/lighter-airplanes-open-new-horizons-for-pb-air 

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
Re: Surin Airport to re-open this year.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:51:09 PM »
Link to recent Bangkok Post article about PB-Air plans.
I will be suprised of they keep open 2 airports so geographically close??? buriramsmiley

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/economics/22767/lighter-airplanes-open-new-horizons-for-pb-air 

Hi Bums ::)

Bangkok Post article >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PB Air is adding two new light aircraft to its fleet as part of its business optimisation and expansion plan.

The Saab 340 is expected to be used on flights to Chumphon and Surin.

The airline, controlled by Boon Rawd Brewery baron Piya Bhirom-Bhakdi, has leased two twin-engine turboprop Saab 340s from AeroCentury, a California-based aircraft leasing and financing firm, for five years.

The first of the Saabs, which are about 12 years old, is due to join the carrier's fleet, now comprising two larger French-made ATR 72-500 turboprops leased from Bangkok Airways, by the end of September. The second aircraft is scheduled for delivery a month later.

PB Air director Heribert Gaksch said the two Saab 340s were well suited to demand patterns on two new routes - Bangkok-Surin and Bangkok-Chumphon - that it plans to introduce.

They will also save costs on some of PB Air's existing routes which use ATR 72-500 aircraft whose 70-seat capacity has become excessive in the light of weak travel demand.

"The ATRs are half-filled on some existing routes, like those to Mae Sot," he said."If we could carry 25 to 26 passengers on each Saab 340 flight then we could break even."

The 19-year-old airline hopes to inaugurate four flights per week to Chumphon, and three to Surin, later this year.

The airline plans to keep the two ATR aircraft in its fleet, to serve its trunk routes to Lampang, Nakhon Phanom and Sakhon Nakhon, said Mr Gaksch.

That means PB Air would renew its lease for the two ATRs, due to end in October, with Bangkok Airways.

Rising jet fuel prices are currently PB Air's biggest concern. The airline is "slowly coming out of the mud of red numbers", said Mr Gaksch, adding that the carrier should break even by year-end.

I would question the title, these commuter aircraft are neither light nor new!

But perhaps they would make more sense on the BKK - BFV route which will have even lower load factors if Surin route is opened.

TBWG sawadi

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 12:21:59 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if they flew to both together.........IE BKK -BURIRAM-SURIN-BKK
Thai used to fly BKK-SAKONNAKON-NAKONPANOM-BKK,the airfields being about the same distances apart.........

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 03:15:01 AM »
Can someone tell me where is Surin Airport?////????

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Gifte​d Poster
  • Admin
    • www.buriramexpats.com
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 09:39:43 AM »
As "PBair" manager said in the "bangkok post", the company will operate flights to Surin airport within 1 year.
I don't know if it really will be open or not.
Don't forget PBair operate flight Buriram-Bkk-Buriram already and it's not that far from Surin city area.

Map to Surin Airport:

sawadi
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 09:42:31 AM by ADMIN »

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 11:29:38 AM »
Oh  what they may do flights from buriram to surin think its quicker by bus  !!!!!!  lol lol

Offline TBWG

• Gifte​d Poster
  • Retarded member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 10:20:40 PM »

Hi Bums

Somehow I don't see how this will happen. As I understand it part of Thai airways obligations is to supply a minimum domestic service, this is part of the requirements to obtain their operators licence. Rather than operate the route themselves (they do not have sufficient suitable equipment) they get other operators to service the route.  i.e. PBair, Andaman, Phuket Air & Bangkok airways have all had a crack at it in the recent past!

Now if the Buriram -Bangkok route is not viable operating 3 flights a week with 70 odd seater aircraft, I don't see how operating additional flights to Surin in a smaller aircraft makes any sense. Additional expenses due to operating crews, landing fees, fuel etc etc but same number of passengers! OK maybe a few more due to Surin convenience but not masses more.

If it happens, surely the least operating costs option would be BKK-BFV-Surin-BKK in the existing 70seater ATR equipment.  But then I understand PBair have already committed themselves to a lease for smaller aircraft!

Anyway time will tell, but whatever happens this being Thailand it will not bear any resembalance to their original press release!

TBWG sawadi
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:19:03 PM by ADMIN »

Offline Khun Tony

• Contributor with future
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 12:16:15 PM »
How far is Surin to Buriram, I seem to remember 33 klms, and from memory the airport to Buriram is about the same distance.  If ithe Surin flight is operating by years end that would be good, having two choices and who knows the flight to Surin may be cheaper, albeit it does not make much sense given there doesn't seem to be a demand for two airfields in such close proximity.

Offline nookiebear

• Gifte​d Poster
  • nookie by name, nookie by nature!!
    • Nookie's delights
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 10:07:45 AM »

If it happens, surely the least operating costs option would be BKK-BFV-Surin-BKK in the existing 70seater ATR equipment.  But then I understand PBair have already committed themselves to a lease for smaller aircraft!

The size of the aircraft has to satisfy the load factor,whether it be the small ATR or the bigger one.Many years ago before all the small operators appeared on the scene Thai would use mainly a 737 on the BKK-Nakon Sakon-Nakhon Panom route but it was changed to an A300 at busy times.

Search Option

Advanced Search
Recent Posts
Re: information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Gerry
August 29, 2024, 02:33:22 PM

information on how to get a child a Thai ID card by Murtle_71
August 29, 2024, 07:11:47 AM

Re: Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by badboldie
July 26, 2024, 03:03:06 PM

Re: Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by Gerry
July 26, 2024, 02:55:12 PM

Auction in Buriram and surrounding area. by badboldie